Chicken curry - North Indian Style
- 1 lb Chicken-drumsticks, thighs, breast pieces
- 1 small carton Plain yogurt
- 2 medium Onions very finely chopped
- 4 tblsp Vegetable oil
- 2 Cloves
- 1/2 tsp Mustard powder
- 2 pods Cardamom
- 1/2 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2" piece Ginger
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1/3 tsp Coriander Seeds
- to taste Salt
- 1/2 tsp Freshly ground pepper
- Remove fat from the chicken and then salt and pepper it. Sprinkle with chili powder. Add yogurtand mix well until the chicken is covered liberally with yogurt. Use your hands. Set aside for 1hour before cooking. If kept in the refrigerator, set aside for at least 4 hours.
- Heat oil in a large heavy pan. When oil is hot, add mustard seeds, if you are using them. Addcloves, cardamom, and coriander seeds and fry for 30 seconds. Add the onion and fry for twominutes until the onion beings to turn brown. Lower heat to medium. Add the ginger and garlicpaste and fry for 4-6 minutes. Add mustard powder, if using it, add Garam Masala, and add cuminpowder.
- Brush excess yogurt off the chicken and put it in a large pot. Add ingredients from the frying pan.Cook uncovered over high heat for 4 minutes. Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 25minutes or until the chicken is tender, stirring every 5 minutes.
Important note:When chicken is cooked with a cover on the pot, it releases water that becomes a part of thesauce. If after 10 minutes, there isn't enough sauce in the pot, add 1/4 cup water. Conversely, ifthere is too much liquid in the pot, cook uncovered until the liquid evaporates.
If you love it, please share it:
Please leave your thoughts on this recipecomments powered by Disqus